Counselling & Psychological Support Services Program
Counselling at the Gender Centre
- We are committed to achieving this with fairness and integrity.
- We aim to provide a high quality counselling service which acknowledges human rights and ensures respect, dignity and confidentiality. It is of a particular concern to remove barriers to clients' achievements resulting from their gender, age, cultural and national background, socio-economic background or disability.
- We will ensure that our service operates within the bounds of ethical guidelines, and the relevant codes of behaviour for psychologists, counsellors and social workers, including the maintenance of client confidentiality.
- We will ensure access and equity issues are met for all.
- Counselling to all clients of the Gender Centre;
- Counselling to partners and families of clients of the Gender Centre;
- Confidentiality contract (see below);
- M.T.F. and F.T.M., transgender parents, over 55s and transgender youth support groups;
- Referrals to psychiatrists, endocrinologists and other specialists;
- Supervision to counsellors who have a transgender client; and
- Placement opportunities to student counsellors.
- alcohol & other drugs;
- sexual health;
- accommodation; and
- surgery options.
- Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association (H.B.I.G.D.A.);
- Clinical Member of the Counsellors and Psychotherapists Association of N.S.W. (CAPA);
- Registered member of the Psychotherapists and Counsellors Federation of Australia (P.A.C.F.A.); and
- Australian Society of Sexuality Educators, Researchers and Therapists (ASSERT)
- Please don't hesitate to send our Counsellor an email
How does the Counselling service work
Step 2 The counsellor will contact you to arrange your first session with us
Step 3 Your Counsellor will provide you with counselling sessions
The Gender Centre Inc. Counselling Contract
Terms and ConditionsConfidentiality:
The counsellor keeps all notes under lock and key in the filing cabinet in the counselling room.
The counsellor may seek supervision on your situation in keeping with the "Psychotherapists and Counsellors Federation of Australia (P.A.C.F.A.) Ethical Guidelines", thus:
Counsellors and supervisors are responsible for protecting the client's rights of confidentiality in the supervisory context by ensuring that shared information is disguised appropriately.
Supervision is a professional requirement for a counsellor to be registered in N.S.W.
"Counsellors and Psychotherapists Association of N.S.W. Inc. Code of Ethics and Good Practice" states:
Circumstances may arise where a counsellor believes that a client is at risk of imminent self-harm or imminent harm to others. Such situations may give rise to exceptions to confidentiality.
Cancellation Policy for Counselling
Due to the high number of requests for counselling,within both programs & the waiting time to get an appointment, we now require a minimum of 24 hours’ notice to cancel an appointment. If you cannot attend a booked appointment, please call 9519 7599 at least one business day prior to the booking, and let reception know.
If you fail to attend an appointment without informing the Gender Centre, you will lose any future bookings and will be required to re-book for counselling and wait until new appointments are available.
Pyshological Support Services (PSS)
Psychological Support Services (PSS) funded by Central and Eastern Sydney PHN
The PSS program offers short term face to face psychological support at no cost to eligible clients experiencing mild to moderate mental health concerns and live in the Central and Eastern Sydney region. The Psychologists’ at The Gender Centre are training and experienced in working with adults, young people and children. To access this service, visit your GP for a PSS referral and mental health treatment plan.
Please note: if you are out of the Central and Eastern Sydney PHN area you may still access the psychologists through Medicare by obtaining a referral and mental health treatment pan from your GP, this will allow us to bulk bill you.
Accessing PSS at The Gender Centre
- PSS referral and mental health treatment plan is required from your GP
- You identify as transgender, gender diverse and/or gender questioning
- You live in the Central and Eastern Sydney region
How does the Psychological Support Services program work
The Psychological Support Services provides FREE short term face-to-face Psychological therapies for people experiencing mild to moderate mental health concernsStep 1 A referral in to see our psychologists is made by a GP and faxed to 95198200 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org please ensure that a contact number has been provided on your referral letter so we can contact you.
If you are new to the counselling service please fax through your GP referral letter to the Gender Centre on 9519-8200 and download and complet the counselling form and bring it in with you to your first appointment.